UN says it has received no formal request for intervention in Qatar crisis

Chinese Ambassador Liu Jieyi holds the council presidency this month.


:: Chinese UN Ambassador Liu Jieyi, who currently holds the Security Council presidency, said on Monday that the Council has not received a formal request for intervention in the Gulf crisis.

Earlier in the week, Qatar’s foreign minister called for the United Nations to help resolve the crisis.

Jieyi said that the Council had not received a formal request and that the parties in the Gulf dispute have enough room to resolve their issues.

He pointed out that his country called for dialogue among the Gulf countries.

Last Thursday, Qatari Foreign Minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdul Rahman al-Thani said “the United Nations is the right place to look for a solution to the crisis and to review possible options.”

“There is a role for the Security Council, the General Assembly and the entire UN system to reach common ground,” he said.

Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Bahrain and Egypt broke diplomatic relations with Qatar in early June largely over their allegations that it supports terrorist and extremist groups — a charge Qatar rejects. They initially made 13 demands, which Qatar rejected.

Last week, the quartet urged Qatar to commit to six principles on combating extremism and terrorism and negotiate a plan with specific measures to implement them.













US-backed Syria force advances in south of ISIS bastion Raqqa
Etihad Airways assisting Australian police with plane attack probe

Comments

comments

%d bloggers like this:
Powered by : © 2014 Systron Micronix :: Leaders in Web Hosting. All rights reserved

| About Us | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Disclaimer | Contact Us |