Qatar Foreign Minister: We are ready to discuss concerns of Gulf countries
:: Qatari Foreign Minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman al-Thani said on Monday that Doha was ready to engage in dialogue with other Gulf parties to resolve the crisis based on clear principles.
The foreign minister announced that he will visit the United States next week to discuss the economic impact of the crisis, and its impact on global efforts to combat terrorism. He added that Doha “still hopes that the Kuwaiti mediation will result in resolving the crisis.”
The Qatari minister also stated that there were legal procedures to open routes to air traffic.
Doha has demanded lifting the boycott imposed by Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and Bahrain before any negotiations to resolve diplomatic tensions in the region.
However, earlier on Monday, the foreign minister said Qatar will not negotiate with Arab states that have cut economic and travel ties with it unless they reverse their measures, ruling out discussions over “Qatar’s internal affairs”.
Sheikh Mohammed said Qatar would rely on other states, including Iran if the boycott continued.
We will depend on Oman, Kuwait and Turkey if the crisis continues, Qatar’s foreign minister told reporters in Doha. “Qatar will not negotiate its foreign policy and Al Jazeera.”
The minister also said Qatar had still not received any demands from Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and Bahrain.
“Qatar is under blockade, there is no negotiation. They have to lift the blockade to start negotiations,” Sheikh Mohammed told reporters in Doha. “Anything not related to them is not subject to negotiation.