PM: Spanish embassy was not targeted in Kabul attack

Afghan security members inspect the site of a suicide car bombing at Surkh Rud district in Nangarhar province, east of Kabul, Afghanistan.

Afghan security members inspect the site of a suicide car bombing at Surkh Rud district in Nangarhar province, east of Kabul, Afghanistan.


Spain’s Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy said Friday the attack in Kabul’s diplomatic district was not targeted at the country’s embassy, contradicting earlier statements by the foreign ministry and local police.

“There was no intention to attack the Spanish embassy in Afghanistan… it was an attack against some guesthouses very near the embassy,” he told reporters in the southeastern city of Alicante, adding one Spanish policeman had nevertheless been slightly injured.

The Taliban have claimed responsibility for the assault, which saw Kabul’s Sherpur district rocked by a massive car bomb and gunfire, but it was not immediately clear if there were casualties.

A Spanish foreign ministry spokesman in Madrid told AFP earlier that the embassy had been attacked, information confirmed by the Kabul police.

But Rajoy said “it was not an attack against us,” adding all employees at the embassy had been evacuated.


[wpResize]





    Australian police charge five over plot to attack government buildings
    Putin says Russia backs Free Syrian Army alongside Assad troops

    Comments

    comments

    %d bloggers like this:
    Powered by : © 2014 Systron Micronix :: Leaders in Web Hosting. All rights reserved

    | About Us | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Disclaimer | Contact Us |