Lebanon declares day of mourning after twin blasts
Lebanon’s Prime Minister Tammam Salam has announced a national day of mourning on Friday after twin suicide attacks ripped through the southern Beirut suburb of Burj al-Barajneh on Thursday night, killing at least 43 people and injured more than 200.
Lebanese newspaper The Daily Star reported Salam’s decision to call for a day of mourning for the double suicide bomber attacks claimed by the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) militant group.
Meanwhile, the U.S. White House condemned the “horrific terrorist.
“Such acts of terror only reinforce our commitment to support the institutions of the Lebanese state, including the security services, to ensure a stable, sovereign, and secure Lebanon,” National Security Council spokesman Ned Price said in a statement.
The attack on a busy shopping street in a Beirut stronghold of the Shiite movement Hezbollah was the worst such assault in years.
The army confirmed that the body of a third suicide bomber, who had failed to detonate his explosive device, had been found at the scene of the second explosion.
“The United States condemns in the strongest terms today’s horrific terrorist attacks in Beirut, Lebanon that killed dozens and wounded hundreds more,” said Price.
French President Francois Hollande also condemned the attack and called it “despicable.”
“The French share in the national mourning of the Lebanese. France is more than ever committed to peace, unity and stability in Lebanon,” Hollande said.