Terror threat puts Kingdom on top alert

In this April 29, 2014 file photo, Saudi soldiers march during Abdullah's Sword military drill in Hafar Al-Batin.

In this April 29, 2014 file photo, Saudi soldiers march during Abdullah’s Sword military drill in Hafar Al-Batin.


Saudi Arabia has put security forces on alert for a possible militant attack on vital energy installations and popular shopping malls, Interior Ministry spokesman Maj. Gen. Mansour Al-Turki said on Monday.

“There was information about a possible terrorist attack targeting a mall or Saudi Aramco installation. We have passed this information to the security forces to be on alert,” Al-Turki said in a statement.

Al-Turki said he had no further information about the threat.

Riyadh has been carrying out airstrikes against Iran-allied Houthi rebels in Yemen since March 26 in Operation Decisive Storm for restoring the country’s legitimacy.

“Saudi Arabia is targeted by terrorism. Usually in such situations (conflicts), there are attempts by terrorist groups to take advantage and carry out attacks,” said Al-Turki.

On Saturday, guards at the gates of a central Riyadh shopping mall stopped single men from entering and searched the bags of female shoppers.

In 2006, four Al-Qaeda militants breached the gates of Saudi Aramco’s Abqaiq plant but couldn’t cause significant damage.

Since then Saudi Arabia has strengthened the security of energy infrastructure and set up a 40,000-strong force for the purpose.


[wpResize]




    Shoura approves scheme for families of martyrs
    Gulf envoys: No ceasefire unless Houthis retreat

    Comments

    comments

    %d bloggers like this:
    Powered by : © 2014 Systron Micronix :: Leaders in Web Hosting. All rights reserved

    | About Us | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Disclaimer | Contact Us |