‘Possible’ second Frenchman in ISIS execution video
French prosecutors said Monday it is “possible” a second Frenchman was among the militants seen in an Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) video that appeared to show the beheading of Syrian soldiers and a U.S. aid worker, Agence France-Presse reported.
The prosecutor’s office said it had yet to confirm the identity of the possible second Frenchman, but was opening an investigation into Maxime Hauchard, a 22-year-old from Normandy who was earlier identified from the “propaganda video” released on Sunday.
Earlier on Monday, the father of a British man fighting with ISIS said he was mistaken in thinking that his son had appeared in the new beheading video.
Ahmed Muthana, 57, had told the Daily Mail newspaper that a man in the video announcing the death of U.S. aid worker Peter Kassig “looks like my son”, 20-year-old Nasser.
But he later told the BBC, after looking at the pictures again: “It doesn’t look like him, much difference. This one’s got a big nose, my one has a flat nose.”
The video showed Kassig’s severed head as well as the beheadings of at least 18 men described as Syrian soldiers.
The Foreign Office refused to comment on speculation about the identity of the fighters in the video, but a spokesman said: “We are analysing its contents.”