Sectarian unity seen at funeral of terror victims
Hundreds of mourners, Sunni and Shiite, marched from all around the Kingdom toward Al-Dalwa on Friday afternoon to participate in laying eight martyrs to their final rest. The eight men were killed Monday evening in a terrorist attack.
Abdul Rahim Bou Khamsin, one of the funeral organizers, said he had received numerous phone calls from people wanting to show solidarity with the victims’ families. “People including dignitaries and politicians called from Riyadh, Qassim, Hail, and Jeddah wanting to attend the funeral,” he said. “All confirmed that they are coming to pay their condolences and respect to these victims.” Maj. Gen. Mansour Al-Turki, spokesman of the Ministry of Interior, said on Saturday that the total number of suspects arrested in the case so far is 33.
The security campaign is still in progress, he said, adding that the police will announce the results of the investigation soon.
People attending the last rites were told to abide by the orders of the organizers and security officials.
Secretary of the Secretariat of Al-Ahsa, Adel Bin Al-Melhim, gave directions to the Al-Imran municipality to double their efforts in preparing the funeral’s location using heaving equipment. Al-Melhim said that this painful incident had hurt all citizens, and that terrorism is everybody’s enemy.
Preparations intensified in the past few hours for the mourning house which will be in a camp set up specifically for this purpose over an area of 800 square meters. The Al Ahsa Irrigation and Drainage Authority worked to fix the roads leading to the mourning house. The works included removing some of the trees and building a temporary wooden bridge for the mourners to cross.
Additional support came from businessmen in the area. Businessman Yassin Al-Ghadeer provided valuable assistance in the preparation efforts which had a significant role in comforting the bereaved families. The bodies of the martyrs are to be buried in Al-Dalwah cemetery.