Syria regime raids kill 10 in camp for displaced: NGO
Syrian regime aircraft killed at least 10 people when they dropped barrel bombs on a camp housing displaced persons Wednesday in the northeastern province of Idlib, a monitor said.
The strikes came as a car bomb wounded at least 37 people, including children, in a government-controlled neighbourhood in the central city of Homs, state television reported.
Two barrels bombs were dropped on the camp near the Habeet area, killing 10 people and wounding dozens, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.
Most of those at the camp were displaced from the central province of Hama, the Britain-based group added.
In Homs, state television initially said people were killed and wounded by the car bomb in Al-Zahraa district.
But it later said that only wounded were among the casualties, with at least 37 hurt, including children who were “in serious condition”, and that the blast had caused major damage.
The Observatory reported that one person had been killed in the attack.
The majority of Al-Zahraa’s residents are Alawite, the same sect to which President Bashar al-Assad belongs.
The bombing is the latest in a series of attacks targeting government-controlled areas of Homs.
In early October, a double bombing at a school in another Alawite neighbourhood killed 52 people, among them 48 students.
Afterwards, angry parents and residents staged demonstrations calling for the resignation of senior security officials.
Two officials were reassigned, though Homs’s governor denied the move was related to the demonstrations.
Homs was once known as the “capital of the revolution” because of the strength of anti-government activity there after Syria’s uprising began in March 2011.
But most of the city is now back under regime control, with the exception of the northwestern Waer district.