Huge fire in Dammam flea market destroys goods worth millions
A major fire that broke out Tuesday afternoon at the old Harraj Market (flea market) in Dammam destroyed goods worth millions of riyals.
Fortunately, no major injuries were reported, although some firefighters and shopowners desperately trying to move their goods had to be treated for minor smoke inhalation.
The cause of fire was not immediately known, but it is believed to be an electrical short circuit.
As it was Ramadan, not a single shop was open at the time when the fire broke out.
Police, who were first to arrive at the scene, immediately cordoned off the area.
Fire engines started arriving after 15 minutes and immediately tried to contain the blaze.
Adjacent to Harraj market is a complex of textiles, furniture and electronic goods shops.
As most of the shops were closed, many of their owners were not aware of the fire and only found out through neighbors and other business owners.
After ensuring no one’s life was at risk, Civil Defense personnel surrounded the whole area and from every direction started battling the fire.
However, after more than an hour the blaze was not extinguished and heavy smoke continued to billow from the scene.
Since most of the goods in the market were furniture and household items that were highly flammable, it was hard for firemen to extinguish the flames.
Harraj is essentially an open market with no roofs or walls or marked shops except for a few on the outskirts.
The market comes alive normally after 8 p.m.
Huge smoke billows from the Harraj Market in Dammam as a huge fire in some shops detroyed goods worth millions of riyals Tuesday.