Libya’s rogue general survives suicide blast
TRIPOLI, Libya: A Libyan general who has been leading an offensive against radicals dominating the country’s political scene survived a suicide attack on his residence in the eastern city of Benghazi on Wednesday, military officials said.
The bomber drove up to the residence of Gen. Khalifa Hiftar in Benghazi and detonated his explosives-laden vehicle when guards stopped him at the compound’s gate, the officials said. The site is less than a mile away from Benghazi’s military command in the suburb of Al-Abyar.
Hiftar was unhurt in the explosion, said the officials, speaking on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to the media. He would likely hold a news conference later Wednesday, they said.
Four people died in the attack, along with the bomber, and at least three were wounded. The Libyan air force’s chief of staff, Saqr Al-Garoushi, was lightly wounded in the explosion and taken to the Benghazi hospital, the officials said.
No one claimed responsibility for the bombing, which bore all the hallmarks of militants whom Hiftar has vowed to crush since launching his offensive last month.