Manila sorry for raiding Saudi diplomat’s home
The Saudi government has welcomed an apology from the Philippine government over law enforcement officers raiding the home of a member of the Saudi diplomatic mission in Manila.
According to reports, the Philippine National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) arrested the unidentified diplomat and his wife last week for allegedly being involved in recruiting Filipino workers without going through official channels. This is illegal and considered human trafficking in the country.
The Philippine authorities later released the couple because they have diplomatic immunity.
A local daily here reported Tuesday that the Philippine government formally apologized to the Kingdom with assurances that it would conduct an investigation into the matter, take legal action against the officers involved and prevent similar incidents in the future.
Saudi Ambassador to Manila Abdullah Al-Hassan had earlier handed a letter of protest to the Philippine Department of Foreign Affairs. The same letter was sent to the Philippine ambassador in Riyadh.
According to reports, the Saudi Embassy considers the act a clear violation of international law and the Vienna Convention.
The Philippine Justice Minister Laila De Lima reportedly said the diplomat was freed because of his immunity and according to “protocol.” He refused to disclose the diplomat’s name and said he would not be charged with resisting arrest and attacking police officers.